This is the webpage for personal information about Pete Miller. You may have arrived here from petemiller.com. Thanks for sticking with me.
Use the quick links (underlined) below to access specific topics
Here are some quotes from my father Les Miller
I got my love of sayings from my father, the late Les Miller (he was never really ‘late’ but you know what I mean)
Dad had little formal education. He left school at 15 to start a tool-maker apprenticeship. Through daily discipline, he managed to educate himself via the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper. He also credited the voluntary organisation Apex as the place where he learned the most about himself.
He summed up his acquired knowledge in the following phrases. Over time, my sisters and I have come to understand them.
- It doesn’t take brains to be neat
- If you don’t ask, you don’t get
- If you’re going to do something, you may as well do it well
- Never let your right know what your left hand is doing* (explained below)
- You can have anything but you can’t have everything.
Since then, I have developed the LLL- LLL attitude: Lots of Lessons Learnt as a Life Long Learner. Many of the following quotes come from my love of reading books – particularly biographies.
- An Extra-ordinary Life requires an Extra-ordinary Person
- Does this simplify?
- Make your brand stand for something
- If you chase two rabbits, both will escape
- If you must doubt something, doubt your limits.
- Every day may not be good … but there is something good in every day
- Positive thinking will take you a long way But positive feeling will take you the whole way. It will take you where you want to go
These quotes on the back of my motorcycle helmet gave my daughters something to think about on their way to school …
- Optimism is Essential
- How Deep Is Your Love?
- Discover why you are here
- Insight before Foresight from Hindsight
- Follow your Passion not your pension
- You are a Woman of Wisdom
- You are a Princess of Possibilities
Acknowledge the source
- Don’t fear mistakes – there are none (Miles Davis)
- The future isn’t what it used to be (Arthur C Clarke)
- Your silence, above all else, should tell others who you are (CLARA Indonesia magazine)
- Speak only if it improves upon silence (Mahatma Gandhi)
- Educating the mind – without educating the heart – is no education at all (Aristoteles)
- Only a life lived for others is worth living (Albert Einstein)
- Protect your self-esteem like you’d protect and secure a block of gold. Take time to feed this asset and nurturer it every day (Brian Sher)
A mile of smiles
- An optimist is someone who looks for rental accommodation with a trumpet under one arm and a dog on a leash in the other
- A narrow mind and a wide mouth usually go together.
- Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.
- Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes; because then when you judge him you would be a mile from him and you would have his shoes
- When nothing goes right … go left
- My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income (Errol Flynn)
- My old boss used to say to me “Peter, you’ve got to keep your eye on the ball, your finger on the pulse, your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your ear to the ground, your hand on the tiller and your back against the wall” … but I could never figure out how I’d get any work done in that position!
Beautifully summarised by Sir Martin Sorrell CEO of WPP Advertising
1) Persistence and Speed
2) Always have someone you can confide in for advice
3) There is no such thing as stress. It’s that you’re not having fun
* explanation: Bible Matthew 6:3 : But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing; meaning “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you”